Last Updated on March 21, 2022 by Visa Journal
Individuals coming to the UK on a temporary basis to work in a sporting role that will make a significant difference to sport in the UK are eligible for UK Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa. A frequent visa path for professionals in sports such as football is the Tier 2 sportsperson visa. It is open to international athletes and competent coaches who can show that they have been recognized as elite members of their profession .
- Elite athlete or a qualified coach who is internationally recognized at the highest level in their respective sport.
- Approved by the relevant sports governing organization.
- Capability to take the sport to a higher level in the United Kingdom.
- Must be from a country outside of the European Economic Area (EEA).
- At least 16 years old at the time of participation.
In addition to the foregoing, the following Tier 2 standards will be enforced:
- Have received a job offer from a sports franchise that holds a valid Tier 2 sponsorship permit.
- Should have a valid sponsorship certification from the hiring sports entity in UK.
- Should earn 70 credits in the points-based system, which includes 50 points for having a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS), 10 points for meeting the English language test, and 10 credits for maintaining financial stability.
How to Apply:
You’ll need to provide a variety of supporting documentation as part of your UK sportsperson Tier 2 visa application :
- Sponsorship certificate.
- Sport governing body’s letter of support.
- A payment that is ‘suitable for the job.
- Proof of English language proficiency.
- Proof that you meet the financial requirements, usually through a bank statement.
- Current passport, as well as any expired passports and travel documentation demonstrating travel history.
- Result of a TB test, if required based on country of residence.
The sponsoring club must receive approval for the candidate from the appropriate governing organization for their sport before certification of sponsorship may be given under the Sports Professionals visa category.
Duration & Refusal Details:
The visa allows you to stay in the UK for up to 3 years, with the possibility to extend for another 3 years, as long as your total stay does not exceed 6 years. The visa will be multi-entry, allowing you to travel overseas and return to the UK within its validity period.
If you don’t apply to extend your visa, you’ll have to leave the UK when it expires, and you’ll only be able to apply for it again if either 12 months have passed since your last certificate of sponsorship was issued, or you can show you’ll be paid a gross yearly wage of £159,600 or more.
Tier 2 sportsperson visa applicants are normally handled in eight weeks for the regular service and 5 business days for the priority service after your UK Visa Application Center (UKVAC) appointment.
- A £610 application fee is required for a UK Sportsperson Visa.
- If you are a Turkish or North Macedonian national, you must pay a lesser charge of £555.
- You will have to pay an extra £610 for each dependent.
- A charge of £704 must be paid if you want to prolong your UK Sportsperson Visa or switch from another visa to this one.