Last Updated on March 21, 2022 by Visa Journal
The Global Talent visa is a type of UK visa that was introduced by Boris Johnson in order to attract talented and promising individuals in various disciplines such as science, humanities, engineering, the arts, and technology. Holders of UK Global Talent Visa can work in the UK for up to five years without a sponsor or a job offer. All that is required is that one is a “leader or a potential future leader” in the field of academia & research, arts & culture, or digital technology.
If you’re a leader (exceptional talent) or potential leader in one of the following fields, you can apply for a Global Talent visa to work in the UK.
- Digital technology
- Academia & research
- Arts & culture
To be considered an amazing talent, you must fit into one of the following criteria.
- If you have worked or have created something for an IT company while being in a senior role.
- If you’ve ever had a cutting-edge idea or have worked in the digital sector.
- You’ve aided the digital technology industry via teaching, mentoring, or collaborating on initiatives. Winning rewards, gaining new skills (commercial or technical), and having your research work published are all additional requirements.
If you’re looking for an opportunity to apply for the UK Global Talent Visa in academia and research, you must be an exceptional talent in one of the following fields:
To qualify under this group you should have been offered a post in the United Kingdom as a senior academic or researcher (for example, a university professor). or have been given an individual fellowship and part of a research project funded by the UK Research and Innovation (UKRI).
Arts and culture
Eligibility criteria for UK Global Talent Visa in the arts and culture, you must be an exceptional talent in one of the following fields:
- Combined arts
- Visual arts
- Film and television
How to get a Global Talent visa?
For a Global Talent visa, you can apply from inside or outside the United Kingdom.
Applications from inside UK:
If you are applying from within the UK, for example, moving from another type of UK visa to a Global Talent visa, you must apply online.
If you are already in the UK, with one of the following type of UK visa then you can apply to switch to a Global Talent visa.
- Tier 1
- Tier 2
- Tier 5
- Tier 4
Applications from outside UK:
Applicants outside UK can apply for this visa online as well as through a Uk visa application centre, which are located around the world.
Documentation to Apply:
You must include the following information to submit a successful application,
- A valid passport or equivalent travel authorization document..
- Tuberculosis test results, if required based on your country of origin.
- Letter of recommendation.
- Application fee
- Immigration health tax.
The exact documentation you’ll need to apply for a Global Talent Visa will vary depending on the stream you apply for.
For academic leaders or researchers:
- A letter from the human resources director at the company where you’ll be employed.
- The letter must contain your name, designation, and department name.
- Declaration that you were hired after participating in a publicly advertised open competition.
- Provide details how four academics from your hiring insitution interviewed you as part of the recuitmet process.
- Include at least three references in your application.
For arts and culture leaders:
- Your curriculum vitae
- Three recommendation letters, in which you describe how they know you, outline your accomplishments and explain why you would benefit from this program and what you can bring to the UK.
- Up to ten pieces of documentation demonstrating your accomplishments, like worldwide media coverage, international awards, international appearances, or exhibitions.
For digital technology:
- Three letters of endorsement from well-known digital technology businesses.
- The letter must state how does the referee know you. Moreover, the referee must highlight your digital technology successes.
- Evidence of any digital technology company you founded or were a senior member of in the previous five years.
- You may submit up to ten pieces of proof to back up your qualifications and eligibility.
How to Apply
There are two components to the application for a UK Global Talent Visa. The first is to apply for a stamp of approval from an organization that is considered an expert in your field, and the second is to apply for the visa by applying to the UK Visas and Immigration.
To submit your application, go to the UK Home Office’s Visas and Immigration website and register with your email address. Depending on which agency is considering your application, the procedure can take anywhere from one to eight weeks. You must apply at least three months before you plan to travel to the United Kingdom. Your family members can apply with you at the same time.
Global Talent Visa UK Fees
As mentioned by the Government of the UK
The application fee is £608.00. You’ll pay the £608 in two instalments if you’re applying based on an endorsement:
- When you apply for the endorsement, you will be charged £456.
- When you apply for the visa, you’ll have to pay £152.
- If you’re applying for a visa based on a qualified award, you’ll have to pay the entire £608 at the time of uk visa application.
- If you’re applying with your partner or children, each of them will have to pay £608.
Duration of Global Talent Visa:
The duration of this UK visa is for up to 5 years with a possibility of renewal beyond the first five year period. You can renew your visa as many times as you want and change jobs without having to inform immigration authorities. You can work in the UK for up to five years without a sponsor or a job offer if you have a Global Talent Visa for the UK. Visa extensions can be for anytime between one to five years.