Last Updated on March 29, 2022 by Visa Journal
Today, many students head to New Zealand for education. It is amongst the top countries that facilitate world-class education for international students. Studying abroad today is a trend that has caught on with most students. The availability of loans has made it easier for all to go abroad for education. However, once the students finish their studies, they will look for jobs. That is where the post study work visa New Zealand comes in. Any student who has graduated from any university in New Zealand can apply for a New Zealand post study work visa.
If you have managed to get a job in New Zealand, you should get a visa for work after completing your education. Sometimes, you also get extensions of up to two years. The student-friendly country has very relaxed guidelines for international students. Moreover, the environment outside the campus is also very friendly.
When Should You Apply for The Post Study Work Visa New Zealand?
You can apply for the visa within 3 months of the last date of your student visa. If you are a research student, then you can apply within 6 months from the end date of your student’s visa. Moreover, you have to complete a degree course, and it should be listed as an elective course in the New Zealand Immigration Skilled Migrant Category.
Additionally, your qualifications should be at level 4, or above as recorded on New Zealand’s Qualifications criterion chart. This is in accordance with the post-study New Zealand visa policy rules.
Post Study Work Visa Rules
You can easily get the New Zealand visa to work after completing your studies. After 2018, the New Zealand Government has released a new set of policies that you must follow. The post-study visa allows international students to work there for one, two, or three years. With a Post Study Work Visa (PSW visa), you can undertake any job in New Zealand and with any employer. Apart from yourself, your partner can also apply for a work visa, and your children can also study there as free-fee domestic students.
You have to remember a few rules, and they are listed below.
- The New Zealand work visa states that you can apply for this visa only once. If you undergo another course in New Zealand, then you are permitted to apply again.
- If you finish your studies outside Auckland, then you can work there post your studies for two or three years.
- If you are already working in New Zealand on a work visa, you can extend it for another two years.
How To Apply?
You can apply for a New Zealand visa online or through paper application. The three modes of application as INZ online, immigration online and through a printed form INZ1015. You need to produce a few documents and a bank balance sheet to apply for the visa. Few salient requirements are;
- Work visa application
- Degree completion certificate
- 3 Months bank statement showing a minimum balance of NZ$4,200
- Passport size photographs
Detailed Delineation of Post-Study Work Visa Based on Area
There are three major divisions;
Applicants from Auckland – If you have completed the course from Auckland, the following rules will apply.
- You must have completed a 3-year bachelor’s degree and should be a level 7 to apply for the PSW for 3 years.
- If you are a level 7 graduate diploma holder, you can apply for a work visa for 1 year.
- Level 4-6 students can apply for a 1 year PSW.
- If you have an occupational registration, you can apply for an extra 1 year of work there.
Applicants from outside Auckland – If you have completed your studies before December 2021, then you can apply for 2-3 years of post study work visa New Zealand. If you will complete your education after the above stated date, you can apply for 1-year PSW.
- Level-7 and above graduates can apply for a 3-year post-study work visa.
- The graduate diploma holders need to follow the above mandate as per dates. In the case of completion before December 2021, the duration is 2 years, and if after the said date, it is 1 -year.
- Level 4-6 qualification holders also follow the above norms.
Off-Campus Students – If you have completed your course in distance mode, you are categorized with those who completed studies in Auckland. The duration will also be the same, according to the level.
New Zealand is one of the emerging countries on the global map. International students from across the globe are going to New Zealand today, as they can avail the lucrative job opportunities to get an international experience immediate after their studies.