The International Mobility Program (IMP) lets Canadian employers to hire foreign workers without having to get an LMIA.
Canada, Work Visa

International Mobility Program Canada

The International Mobility Program (IMP) lets Canadian employers to hire foreign workers without having to get an LMIA if the job is beneficial for the country’s cultural and economic well-being. As a result, the application process for the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, which requires an LMIA and is based on the labour market, is much easier and faster than that for the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), which requires an LMIA and is labour market dependent.

Who Can Apply for Canada International Mobility Program?

A few of the programmes that are included in the International Mobility Program for Canada are listed below:

  • The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program is available to students who have completed their studies at a Canadian Designated Learning Institution and have received their diploma (DLI)
  • Individuals between the ages of 18 and 30 (35) years old who wish to travel and work in Canada can do so through reciprocal youth exchange agreements such as the International Experience Canada (IEC), which is sponsored by the Canadian government.
  •  International trade agreements with specific countries, such as the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), the Trans-Pacific Partnership, and the Canada–European Union Comprehensive Free Trade Agreement (CETA), Canada-Chile FTA/Canada-Peru FTA/Canada-Columbia FTA/Canada-Korea FTA, General Agreement On Trade In Services.
  • Permitting companies with a branch, subsidiary, or affiliate in Canada to transfer workers under the Intra-Company Transfer program.
  • Allowing someone transitioning to permanent residence in Canada to work on a Bridging Open Work Permit.
  • Giving international graduates who studied in Canada the opportunity to work on a Post-Graduation Work Permit.
  • Situations that bring ‘significant social or cultural benefit to Canada’ (one such example being the Mobilité Francophone initiative).

How Do I Submit an Application Through the IMP?

The procedure begins with your Canadian employer, just as it does with the Temporary Foreign Worker Permit Program.

Step 1: Accepting a Job Offer

Your prospective employer will be required to submit an official job offer in Canada through the Employer Portal in order for you to be considered. Employers who wish to hire foreign workers through the International Mobility Program will be required to meet the following requirements:

  • Evidence must be shown to demonstrate that the job or the person fits the conditions for LMIA exemption.
  • Employer must pay the $230 compliance charge.
  • Employers can post an official employment offer using the IMP Employer Portal (if required).
  • If you already have an open work permit, your employer will not be required to submit a job offer or pay the compliance fee, making the application process both easier and faster.

Step 2: Submit an application for a work permit

You will then be able to submit an application for your work permit once this has been completed. In order to complete your application, you will need your offer of employment number. If your application is granted and you are able to work in Canada, you will receive the following benefits:

  • A letter of introduction from a Canada border services officer, as well as a work visa; or
  • A new work permit has been issued (if you live in Canada or apply when you enter Canada).

Difference Between TFWP vs IMP

Temporary Foreign Work Permit (TFWP)International Mobility Program (IMP)
LMIA requirementNo LMIA requirement
Work permits are closed (employer-specific)Work permits may be open or closed
Employers hiring for high-wage positions usually must provide a transition plan for workerEmployers do not have to provide a transition plan or settlement arrangements
Labour market-based (to fill shortages on a temporary basis)To advance Canada's larger economic and cultural interests
Based on specific labour needs based on occupation and regionBased partially on international trade agreements (e.g. NAFTA, CETA)
Streams applications based on the wage of the position offeredDoes not stream applications based on the wage offered, but certain streams take occupation skill level into account
Usually requires employers to search for Canadian workers before being able to hire a foreign workerEmployers may hire without first offering the position to Canadians or PR holders
Employer pays fee for LMIA application ($1,000)Employer pays compliance fee ($230) unless job applicant holds an open work permit (in which case, no fee is required)
Two-week processing standard is only available for certain occupations and top 10% wage earners, otherwise the process can run to many monthsMany IMP streams have a two-week work permit processing standard
Overseen by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)Overseen by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)